The Arts in the Park in Highland Park, NJ went really well. I was lucky enough to have good friends (and their kids) in nearby booths, which really made the event more fun than it already was. I sold a bunch of items, including two small turkeys! My big Pearls and Lace gal got a lot of compliments, giggles, and pokes (always a plus!). My friend Christy, who won 2nd Place for Mixed Media, suggested I try raffling off an item next time to draw in more business. I really like that idea and might give it a try. So here’s a rundown on my experience:
- Spiffy glass jars with candy out for people to grab
- Big turkey front and center made a nice impression
- My new tent worked great – was able to open and close by myself
- My display in general worked out well – especially loved the suitcase for my bunnies
- Bunnies went over well – maybe thing of making more primitive toys/stuffed animals
- Sold two small turkeys and had requests for two more
- Prices seemed on the mark
- The utility apron I made was great!
- Labels and tags worked well
- Only sold 3 baby blankets – need to come up with a new angle for those as a blanket in general is good for many things
- Need to create some sort of online shop via my website – avoiding etsy and unfortunately Square is too simplified (only one image for each item)
- Need more ways/products to display more complex dye techniques
- Try for next time: notebook covers with blank journals inside; crayon/pencil roll ups
- Make quilts in different color schemes with similar techniques – don’t bother with poly, just do fleece backing
- Make baby clothes in varied colors and sizes – IF I feel like going this route since it requires a lot of stock
- Make bunting for the tent for next time
- Next time get a third card table or other surface to make a U shape in the tent and set all things farther back to entice customers to come in, which will also allow me to use the supports to hang merchandise
- Need stoppers to put on supports to separate hanging pieces
- Bring dog cookies for next time!
- Maybe raffle off a piece for 25-50 cents a ticket
Overall, it was a good experience doing this fair. I will definitely do it again next year.